Friday, September 23, 2011

Expired, Expired, Expired

Proud of the new accomplishment but disheartened to find everything needed for more creations had expired two years ago.   It was actually two years ago that my sweet husband “the chef” drove his John Deere tractor to heaven. I’m an artist not a cook, was my excuse in the past as the smoke alarm sounded on a regular basis. I invented blackened and it’s just the way I like it, charred. Well, that’s not the truth at all; it was the inevitable outcome when the cook finds standing in front of the stove boring.

 My enjoyment could be found in table cloths, dollies, candles, flowers, dishes, silverware, stemware and the placement of the finished product on the plates. It was all about the look not the preparation.  So Dennis would cook and then step back from the stove and say, “it’s all yours” and that’s the part I loved.

 For the better part of the past two years I have defrosted my refrigerator freezer (an old refrigerator) weekly; as I make frequent visits; expecting the cooking ferry to leave something special some day, but no such luck.  I have this little snowman (Hallmark) that lives in the refrigerator and it has four sayings when the light comes on, “Is it cool in here or is it just me”;”Here in the frig where it is nice and cool there is one very simple  rule once you find what you’re looking for do me a favor and shut the door”,” Hey close the door your letting out all the cold”, and “ You again I’m going to have to get a lock for that door”.  But, then this to was another voice-- besides my own, in the cottage, perhaps I wanted to hear that voice more than find something new in the refrigerator, perhaps.

 I was proud of my most recent culinary triumph the “Swiss steak” ensemble now divided in four single serving containers, living in the freezer with the quiche quarters, prepared Monday. There is hope for me, actually; like the little red steam shovel with Mike Mulligan there is always hope! Not everything is expired around here; there are some interesting changes cooking in the mind of this artist, I’d call that inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment